Snacks & Treats
Pumpkin Crispy Rice Cookies
BY STEPHANIE KEEPING, SPACESHIPS AND LASER BEAMS
Oct 24, 2017
It’s that time of the year for tricks and treats. This one is a little of both!
Wouldn’t you love knowing how to “carve” a pumpkin without needing to use a knife? It’s a very kid-friendly process. All you need is a great cookie recipe and a cookie cutter.
You'll Also Love: Monster Finger Halloween Cookies
I’m sharing the cookie recipe so grab a cookie cutter and let’s get going — these rice crispy pumpkin treats are quick and easy to make! If you’re looking for another pumpkin recipes that kids can easily help with, try our two-ingredient pumpkin muffins.
Start by melting a little butter and a couple packages of jumbo marshmallows in the microwave. According to my eight-year-old, watching the marshmallows puff is spellbinding. I agree.
Vanilla is a common ingredient in rice crispy treats, but cinnamon adds a pinch of bewitchment to this version. The flavour difference is subtle, but sublime. Stir well.
Now for a little alchemy: combine the marshmallow mix and the rice crispies.
Using parchment paper makes rolling everything out less messy. You’ll be glad.
Once everything has firmed up, the “carving” can begin. Sam and I used a 3 ½ inch pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter but adjust according to your preferences.
You can line ramekins with piping bags and then fill them with the melting chocolates before they are microwaved.
Once the chocolates have melted, snip a small opening in the tip and drizzle the chocolate onto the pumpkins. Get creative with lines and squiggles.
No worries if there are lumps and bumps. After all, some pumpkins look downright warty!
Let the melting chocolate harden and you’re done.
Bag them for classroom treats or hand them out when small goblins make their way to your door.
Try to save some for the family too…but I warn you: It’s downright eerie how quickly they disappear!
- 2 packages jumbo marshmallows
- 1 12-ounce box of crispy rice
- ½ c butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c orange melting chocolate
- 1 c green melting chocolate
- 1 c brown melting chocolate (or chocolate chips)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add marshmallows and butter. Microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes until marshmallows have puffed and butter starts to melt.
- Stir in vanilla and cinnamon; mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, pour in crispy rice and drizzle marshmallows on top.
- Line a 12x18 cookie sheet with parchment paper; transfer mixture to the baking sheet.
- Place a second piece of parchment paper on top and use a rolling pin to spread mixture into an even layer.
- Let set and firm up for an hour or place in the fridge, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Once the treats have set, use a large 3 ½ inch pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pumpkins. Set aside on a separate piece of parchment paper.
- Place melting chocolates into ramekins and microwave on high for 1 minute, until melted. Transfer to a piping bag and snip off the end with scissors, creating an opening about 1/8th of an inch.
- Drizzle chocolate onto pumpkins. Let set until chocolate has hardened. Serve!