Rideau Canal Skateway is open again
World's largest skating rink opened for 48th season Jan. 5
CBC NewsPosted: Jan 08, 2018 3:35 PM ETLast Updated: Jan 16, 2018 7:56 AM ET
Most of the Rideau Canal Skateway is open again this morning after a weekend of subzero temperatures.
The canal was closed last week after unseasonably warm temperatures melted some of the ice and made conditions unsafe for skaters.
But the temperature dropped Friday afternoon and remained between –13 C and –27 C all weekend.
The skateway opened at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 16, from Somerset Street to Hartwells Locks, the National Capital Commission said.
The National Capital Commission provides updates via its @NCC_Skateway Twitter account, as well as an interactive map that shows conditions along the canal's length. Click below to check the state of the ice on your preferred stretch.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Latest Ottawa News Headlines
Top News Headlines
- 'He had no regrets': Friends, family remember whistleblower Shiv Chopra
- Gatineau police investigate after strip club hit with bullets
- Thousands rally at Women's March in Ottawa, demand a 'better world'
- Teen with prosthetic leg takes ice with Ottawa 67's
- Ottawa man charged with luring, distributing child pornography
- Woman stole fentanyl from Hull pharmacy, police say
- Mild temperatures Sunday change to freezing rain Monday
- Neighbours shocked by Friday night shooting in Findlay Creek
- This year's Women's March in Ottawa — in pictures
- 'He was a good kid': Bells Corners family mourns teen killed in collision