Tony LaMantia, president and CEO of Waterloo Economic Development, says its great news the Toronto region bid - which includes Waterloo region - made Amazon's shortlist for its second headquarters. But he also warns it's still early to get too excited. Morereadcomments
There were 71 overdose deaths in Waterloo region, nearly twice the number of people who died from drug use in 2016. Most of the overdoses were due to opioid use — primarily fentanyl and heroin, said a report to the Waterloo Regional Police Services Board on Wednesday.
The Commissioner of the upcoming inquiry into the actions of serial killer Elizabeth Wettlaufer has decided who will be allowed to participate in public hearings that begin in June in St. Thomas.
Two MPPs from Waterloo region were given new positions in Premier Kathleen Wynne's cabinet in a cabinet shuffle Wednesday. Queen's Park political analyst Robert Fisher says the move is meant to raise their profiles and hopefully win seats in this spring's provincial election.
A University of Guelph professor who was put on a leave of absence after students allege he mocked and humiliated one of his classmates has responded to those allegations.
A Brantford woman faces two charges of attempted murder in connection with non-life threatening injuries against two young children.
A Waterloo woman took home a provincial award for being an advocate for diversity. Fauzia Baig from the Coalition of Muslim Women Kitchener-Waterloo started a campaign last year to bridge the broader community members with their Muslim neighbours in Waterloo region.
Scott Walker's dream to go to the Olympics will come true with Pyeongchang 2018 next month. But instead of putting on a jersey, the Cambridge man will be opting for a suit as an assistant coach.readcomments video
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne will name her go-to business advisor as the new chairman of the LCBO today, with the agency poised to oversee the retailing of cannabis in the province.
Exclusive London, Ont., school boards pull funding for musical about gay student fighting to take a date to prom
Two school boards in London, Ont., have pulled their financial backing of a play about a gay student's fight to take his boyfriend to the prom, CBC News has learned, with one board spokesperson saying the script doesn't coincide with school "culture and values."
The women's marches following U.S. President Donald Trump's inauguration were held one year ago. Eden Hennessey, who organized 49 mini marches in Waterloo region every Saturday in 2017, has helped organize a much larger march this Saturday in Kitchener.
Premier Kathleen Wynne has shuffled her cabinet, adding Kitchener Centre MPP Daiene Vernile as the minister of tourism, culture and sport while Cambridge MPP Kathryn McGarry has become transportation minister.
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is trying to raise the profile of three backbenchers by promoting them to cabinet less than four months before the election campaign begins.
The Victoria Street bridge in Kitchener will be closing at the end of the month as the first construction phase to build a new Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph begins.
The national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls has lost its second executive director. Lori Campbell, director of Indigenous Initiatives at the University of Waterloo, says the inquiry was a mess from the very beginning and built on a foundation of colonialism.audio
A Kitchener bylaw officer officer suffered minor injuries after he was hit by a vehicle outside a school Tuesday morning. The officer was attempting to issue a ticket when the parent, who dropped off a student in a no stopping zone, drove off, police say.
Students in Grades 7 to 12 were asked to write the first page of an original novel that explores how a current issue has played out in 150 years.
Some wildlife rescuers in Ontario say they're being bullied and harassed by Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry enforcement officers who know little about wildlife and are too heavy-handed with the rules.
The United States Geological Survey has confirmed that a bright flash of light followed by a booming sound spotted in Windsor-Essex was a meteor that broke up over the Detroit area.
Premier Kathleen Wynne is going to shuffle her cabinet on Wednesday, less than five months before Ontarians go to the polls.
The latest social media fad called the "Tide pod challenge" has parents and health professionals worried and has led to an NFL star making a public service announcement against the dangerous trend.video
The false story of the 11-year-old whose hijab was cut off was a destructive incident for the Muslim community, but hopefully one that won't delegitimize the experiences of many other Muslim Canadians.
The City of Kitchener has had to repair 16 water main breaks so far this month. Guelph has had just as many water main breaks, while Waterloo and Cambridge have only had to repair two.
Scaffolding used in the renovations of the facade of Guelph's renowned Petrie Building were coming down Tuesday, much to the delight of residents eager to see the historic building restored to its former glory.
Waterloo Regional Police Chief Bryan Larkin has issued a statement defending members of the service and the organization as a multi-million dollar lawsuit alleging workplace sexual assault and sexual harassment continues in Ontario.
Police are warning drivers not to leave vehicles running to warm up after 20 vehicles were stolen in less than two months.
A doctor in Kitchener is facing a temporary suspension for inappropriately touching a former employee.
A professor at the University of Guelph in Ontario has been put on a leave of absence following allegations he referred to a student's aid worker as his "handler" who "needed to control" the student in a class Monday night.
Ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir will make history on Feb. 9, becoming the first woman and man — and first duo, period — to carry the Canadian flag into an Olympic opening ceremony.readcomments video
Grand River Hospital is opening a donor milk bank for babies in intensive care who are in need of breast milk — the first in Waterloo region.
Claims that Sunset Grill is robbing servers of their tips in the wake of Ontario’s minimum-wage hike are false, says the company’s CEO.
Voices claiming to represent business cry foul on wage hikes. But just watch how quickly capitalism adapts.
The 24-year-old man accused of stabbing and killing Melinda Vasilije in Kitchener made another court appearance Monday via video.
Five people – three from Kitchener, one from Stratford and one from Cambridge – were charged with numerous drug and criminal offences after police raided a residence in Kitchener.
Kathi Smith, trustee from Kitchener on the Waterloo Region District School Board, is hoping educators in the region will be on board for starting school earlier than September. Trustees will meet Monday evening to discuss, compare and contrast.
Athletes at Wilfrid Laurier University have been foiled by infrastructure issues in two venues. The athletic complex is closed indefinitely after flooding last week. A separate mechanical problem has closed its 50 m pool.
The Stratford Festival announced it has received a $10 million dollar gift from Ophelia Lazaridis as part of the theatre's new $100 million dollar campaign aimed to rebuild the Tom Patterson Theatre.
One federal and three provincial cabinet ministers visited Waterloo region and Guelph Monday, making funding announcements on topics ranging from the auto sector to building new schools.
Women are increasingly using technology to explore topics about sex, their sexuality and access explicit materials, University of Waterloo study has found. Women learning more about sex thanks to their smartphones, study finds
An 11-year-old girl's report last week that a man twice tried to cut off her hijab as she walked to school "did not happen," Toronto police said Monday in ending their investigation.video
Ontario will spend $784 million in 2018 to build and renovate 79 schools across the province, according to provincial Education Minister Mitzie Hunter.
A group of people formed a 'circle of support' in order for an Indigenous mother to to regain access to her children in foster care.
A Waterloo mom is calling on the city and transit operators to do a better job clearing walkways and bus stops, saying it's left her daughter, who has mobility issues, unable to walk on her own on city sidewalks.
NAIAS 2018 Honda Accord, Volvo XC60 and Lincoln Navigator named vehicles of the year at Detroit auto show
The Accord took home the prize for top car, while the XC60 and Navigator were recognized as utility vehicle and truck of the year respectively.
The Toronto Blue Jays will replace and extend the protective netting from behind home plate for the 2018 season, the team announced on Monday.
Some Rogers employees say the company is pressuring them to try to make a sale on every call — even to elderly people who don't understand. The employees say they sometimes have to lie or trick customers to buy products & services they don’t need. Watch now.
Part-time support staff at Ontario colleges voted to join the Ontario Public Service Employees Union and Conestoga College
Sunday on Cross Country Checkup: organizing labour. The controversy over higher minimum wages has shone a spotlight on the plight of the working poor, who have little leverage in negotiating pay and benefits. Should the unions take up the cause and organize low-wage and temporary workers? Join Duncan McCue Sunday on CBC Radio One at 4 p.m. ET.
17-year-old Kaitlin Coghlin with special needs is turning 18 in July and her Mom is asking people to mail her cards to help her feel loved.video
Check out brand new music from Born Ruffians, Omhouse and Beams.audio
Is the food scene changing? CBC K-W's food columnist Andrew Coppolino gives his take on the latest food trends in Waterloo Region.
Severe weather warnings or watches in effect for:
Chance of flurries
Periods of drizzle
Periods of rain
Chance of flurries
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It)
- U of G prof accused of mocking anxious student responds to allegations
- 'Let's not be giddy' about making Amazon's HQ2 shortlist, says Waterloo region official
- More people dying from overdose per capita in Cambridge than Kitchener or Waterloo
- Professor put on leave after allegedly mocking U of G student with 'severe anxiety'
- Diversity award winner says Islamophobia still exists in Waterloo region
- Victoria Street bridge in Kitchener set to close at the end of January
- Brantford woman faces two charges of attempted murder
- 'Circle of support' formed to help Indigenous mother reunite with children
- Cambridge's former NHL player Scott Walker goes to Olympics as coach
- California couple plead not guilty to torturing children, bail set at $12M each
- An Olympic-sized 'window of opportunity' — or a North Korean ruse?
- Trump appears unyielding on Mexican wall, despite chief of staff's comments
- To end 'whining and moaning' over Brexit, Nigel Farage proposes referendum re-do
- Members of far-right Storm Alliance attend Trudeau's town hall in Quebec City
- Holly Hamilton's ex-boyfriend, Justin Dumpfrey, charged with 2nd-degree murder
- Alberta could create its own EI system to cover high-wage earners in volatile industries, report says
- Toronto makes cut of top 20 cities vying to be Amazon's 2nd headquarters
- Loblaws in $400M tax fight with CRA over claims it set up bogus offshore bank
- Family horrified after funeral home mixes up bodies, cremates wrong one
- Debt, pain and more surgery: The true cost of gastric band procedure hyped as weight-loss fix
- $500M recouped worldwide from tax cheats due to Panama Papers — but none of it in Canada
- Health officials urge Vancouver to distribute safe opioids
- A look at the cognitive test that Trump aced — and why it's 'not considered definitive'
- Morning sickness drug Diclectin doesn't work, confidential industry documents reviewed by doctor show
- After #MeToo, phone app allows you to legally consent to sex
- Barenaked Together: Steven Page to join Barenaked Ladies for Music Hall of Fame induction
- Is it news? Aziz Ansari story triggers media ethics debate
- Police probe 3rd Kevin Spacey sex assault allegation, U.K. media report
- Why 2 Ontario school boards pulled funding for a play about a gay student fighting to take a date to prom
- Mi'kmaq had no 'veto' over Mill River sale, government lawyer says
- Northern Ontario First Nation 'rekindling' interest in dogsledding with help from N.B. musher
- New abuse evidence not enough to reopen rejected Indian residential school claims, says court
- Marlene Bird, Leo LaChance cases formative for new Saskatoon police chief